Senior Account Director
What do feta cheese pasta, pink sauce and a soap dispenser all have in common? Answer: They’re all billion view trends on TikTok.
As a platform, TikTok is so fast paced that it’s hard to predict what’s next. But, using our experience (check out our latest viral video) and insights, we’ve identified some steps you can take to ensure you’re giving your brand the best chance of being part of the next trending moment.
For the past few years, most of us have been creating content with the expectation that social media users will watch it on mute. It was only two years ago that a stat began circulating to confirm this: 85% of social media users watched videos with sound off.
But TikTok is changing everything. 88% of the platform’s users say that sound is actually vital to their experience – and if you use a song they like, they’re more likely to remember your brand.
But how can creators and brands make the most of audio, without risking copyright infringement?
Sound on, not off
- Collaborate with creators to create the next big audio. They know their audience and the platform best, so brands should look to give them a brief and let them do their thing. You can then encourage them to use that one piece of audio across multiple pieces of content, and watch it fly.
- Tap into trending audio styles. They’re trending for a reason – and are far more likely to appear in users’ “for you” page.
- Narrate your videos. Narration is a great way to enhance TikTok videos and personalise your content. You can choose between recording your own voiceover (for an extra personal touch), or using the text-to-speech function – which reads your text out in one of TikTok’s infamous voices.
Move over Google, there’s a new search engine in town
SEO is not typically a word you’d associate with social media – yet implementing an effective SEO strategy into TikTok content could be key to success on the platform.
This is because more and more people are turning to networks like TikTok and Instagram to find out information.
A Senior Vice President at Google recently shared new research, showing that “almost 40% of young people, when they’re looking for a place for lunch… don’t go to Google Maps or Search, they go to TikTok or Instagram.”
The path to discovery looks very different nowadays. Younger generations typically seem to favour visually rich formats, wanting to be inspired and see first hand what they’re buying into - whether that’s a product, recipe or holiday.
Here are a few ways you can enhance your TikTok’s SEO:
- Create content that is tailored to the platform and is searchable – think social-first, audience-first. Don’t assume that a piece of content that has worked on another platform will work on TikTok – it’s a very different landscape and audience. Try to get inside the audience’s heads: If you’re creating content for your brand or self, what is your target audience likely to be searching for?
- Use popular keywords and hashtags. Short, snappy captions are important, but make sure they include keywords and hashtags that are likely to come up when searched for.
Like most social media platforms, being authentic is key to TikTok success. Embrace (and play into) your niche, have a go with new features and tools, engage with your community, and have fun!
Want to stay in the loop on the latest in social media? Sign up to receive our daily WhatsApp updates, and subscribe to the Battenhall Monthly newsletter here.